These mild to medium bodied cigars have a very smooth and subtle flavor that has been its hallmark since its introduction in 1844. A great favorite among aficionados, the history of this brand began around 1840, when Herman Upmann, banker and almost fanatical cigar enthusiast, offered to open a branch of his family-owned bank in Havana Cuba. In 1844, he (not surprisingly) invested in a cigar factory, and from then until 1922, the company traded as both a bank and a cigar business. In that year, both companies failed, and a British firm, J. Frankau & Co., saved the brand and ran the cigar factory until 1935. It was then sold to the newly-founded Menendez y Garcia Company. And so it was that a legend was re-born.